Friday, April 3, 2015

Let Me Vent Series: America Is Not A Fantasy Place Where All Dreams Come True (E No Easy)

I may be one of the few people to be honest with you and tell you this country is not filled with money covered trees and the streets are not littered with beautiful, willing and accepting people.. In reality there are many hardships that people of color deal with in this country. Recently I was accused of coming from a silver spoon, that I don't know nor can I relate to the foreigner's struggle. First and foremost, my mother is a foreigner.. so I know very well a firsthand perspective. Secondly, I am traveled and versed in foreign issues enough to speak my piece. Certainly there are benefits to being in this country such a women's rights (being able to become educated and pursue a career to support oneself),independence and also the freedom of speech (In which I can graciously share the truth with the world without fear or contradiction), but many aspects of coming to this country often go unknown until people migrate here, and then and only then are they faced with the truth. The images shown around the world of this country and the perpetuation of all the 'opportunites' that are available here are greatly inflated. It saddens me because often times people leave their home (in which they may even be doing well) to set off for western countries only to live a lesser standard once they arrive. Had they had proper information they may have been able to make the most sensible choice. Trust me, I am gaining nothing by telling you the truth, but i am trying to be a resource for someone; somewhere. I can't speak for everyone, but I hate being deceived and only told the pleasantries upfront, and only learning of the drawbacks either when it is too late of I'm already in the midst. I'm mature enough to understand every action has two sides of the story. Of course everyone can endure the lovely things.. but the question is can you endure the rain?

No comments: