Tuesday, September 24, 2013

For Granted....


So somehow a in a freak accident this past weekend, I scratched my eye. If you are not aware I wear contact lenses and do not currently own a pair of eyeglasses (which is totally irresponsible, I admit). My eye was getting so red and irritated, I had to remove my contact, and rather than walk around with an unpredictable crazy wandering eye... I decided to purchase a medical eye patch from the pharmacy to give my irritated eye a chance to heal. However through my experience, I was made painfully aware the difficulties that visually impaired people and other disabled people go through on a daily basis just doing everyday things.

This morning when I was getting dressed for work and doing my eye makeup was the first instance I noticed the difference. Usually when applying eye shadow and eyeliner.. I will close the eye that I am making up... and use the other eye to see. With my right eye under the patch, once i closed my left eye.. that was it, no sight.....
The next challenge was driving myself to work. I had to be extra cautious making turns and lane changes because my visibility was down half.
The next aspect of my temporary disability was the perception and behavior of my peers and friends. One of my dearest male friends that is usually quick to compliment on my looks, was put off by my patch. It made me consider intimate situations.. and how insecure it could make a person feel. I am naturally a very confident woman and secure in her looks... but for just a moment... it made me question my appeal... so much more for those that suffer from authentic irreversible conditions.....
At work.. I was quite the spectacle.... Almost everyone I ran into that didn't know the situation stopped to ask me what was wrong. I wasn't offended, but I could understand how someone could be... or simply feel identified by their disability because it is the nature of people to constantly question and bring your differences to the forefront. Overall the whole experience made me recognize how wonderfully blessed and fortunate I am to have all my faculties about myself.. nothing missing, nothing broken, nothing lacking. It also made me come face to face with the realities that some face each day. Many of us take these things for granted, as we should be forever appreciative........ Thank you Lord.

No comments: